Friday, October 14, 2011

Getting Organized - Step by Step

When our children were little, we lived in an old house with no coat closet and very little storage.  I found a neat way to store our gloves and hats by using a shoe holder on the back of the basement door. 

When we moved to this home, we had a coat closet, so I put a basket in the top of it and stored our hats, gloves, mittens, etc. there. 


It has never really worked because it was so deep and I'm so short.  I had to take the basket down and everything would be piled up behind it. 


A few weeks ago, I decided to do something about it to get ready for winter. After looking in three different local stores, I finally found a shoe holder that wasn't plastic and could be seen through.

Our basement door is right next to the coat closet, so I cleared out all the piled up stuff at the entrance to our basement (all the stuff that should have been put away and never was :))
and hung a new shoe holder up just like we used to have. 

Now it looks like this:

The little pull string light above it broke and still has to be replaced, but when it is fixed, it will be so easy to just take a look and find a PAIR of gloves or mittens!

Here's what the closet looks like now:

Only toboggans in the basket two scarves that were too big for the shoe holder on the shelf. 

After I took this picture I added a lint roller to one of the pockets since I can never find it when I need it.  The rest of the pockets will fill up as I find misplaced gloves all around the house. 
 We have them tucked here and there, but soon they will all be in one place.

Now I'm all ready to get decked out for the cold that's coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment