Sunday, November 13, 2011

Garden Update

     Back in the summer, I began making plans for downsizing our garden and relocating it due to growing trees blocking out the sunlight. I drew them up and then decided that I didn't want to take on too much.  We settled on building two beds to see how it worked out.  We ordered our garlic and onions (first time for garlic!) from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. 


 Last weekend we bought the wood, compost and peat that we'd need and then on Tuesday, Ben and I got started since school was out for Election Day. 

 In keeping with my new rhythm of working in small increments, I stopped when I got tired....even though only one bed was finished.  It turned out to be the right decision.  I took time over the next few days to read more about raised bed gardening and spacing.  Then I modified my plans accordingly.


When we placed the second bed on Saturday I felt good about how it will work out. Later, I'll add another bed in between these two.  I wanted to build several beds to be used for extended season growing, so I planned this covered wagon set up. In the spring I'll cover the frame with plastic to shelter fragile plants.  The tubing is removable for summer growth. I like it so far.  I feel very comfortable with this new way of growing things.  You can see the old garden just beyond the new beds.  I'll slowly fill in the low parts and seed it over starting at the tree line.


I sorted the garlic and planted it.  I'm planning on keeping a garden journal ,so I took the time as I planted to note the date, conditions, and the planting location of each variety.


It was a beautiful fall weekend that was perfect for outside work. Beds were cleaned out....and I used my pine straw mulch that I had gathered a few weeks ago. 

 
Before

After

We've been steadily working toward winter.  Slowly but surely, we are tidying up garden beds and winterizing the house and outbuildings. There is nothing more peaceful or gratifying to me than working outdoors.  The sun was shining and the wind was blowing steadily, bringing storms to us later in the night.



I'm coming to grips with the upcoming cold weather and instead of dreading it as much as I was, I'm beginning to appreciate the change of seasons.  I've always liked winter...but this year have been slow to welcome it.  Being outside makes me appreciate every aspect of the changes heading our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment