Saturday, January 14, 2012

The New Year Begins....

 I love the New Year. 


I miss the Christmas decorations, but there is nothing like the crisp clean feeling when everything is put away.  It's the sense of simplicity that I love.
I like to reflect on what I've accomplished in the past year and what I'd like to do in the future. 


Last year's goals included all sorts of things......better budgeting, major improvements on the outside of the house, progress in my garden, steps toward simplicity and self-sufficiency, earning my National Teacher's Certification, and several other personal projects. 
For the most part, I've made progress on all of my goals.  
To be honest, some more than others, but I'm really fine with that.


The most important thing I accomplished this year was that I didn't beat myself up for not getting things done.  I just found a better rhythm to help me accomplish what had to be done. In finding that rhythm, I actually seem to be reaching more of my goals. And added bonus was that I've enjoyed each moment so much more.

This year I want to continue working toward several specific projects:
  • I have decided that I can no longer procrastinate on cleaning out the mounds of pictures, papers, and mementos in 1/4 of our basement (I cleaned the other 3/4 last year). 
  • Our video tapes need to be copied to DVDs.
  • I'd like to hang our pictures on the walls (we've only lived here seven years now)!
  • I want to improve my garden even more with the ultimate goal of being able to harvest produce for our meals 10 months out of the year.  That won't happen all at once, but I want to make progress.
  • I'd like to make time to learn more about herbs and their uses.
  • If time permits, I'd love to learn to make crocheted scrubbies like these:
   
  • Our house needs to be deep cleaned....rooms emptied and floors waxed...not sure whether this will happen or not.
  • I want to read more.
  • Finally, I would like to work toward completing this quilt that I started when my sister and I still lived at home.  

1982!!!!! It doesn't seem that long ago!!!!
My mother cross-stitched half for each of us and we completed the other half. My sister has never finished hers either.


I quilted the center during the first year of marriage and put it aside after children started coming along. 
I think it's time to finish it!

  If I can refine the rhythm I worked on last year, add a little more discipline, and have fun along the way....it will be a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment