Saturday, January 21, 2012

Today's Outing

After a rare January storm complete with thunder, lightening and hail in the middle of the night caused some lost sleep, today seemed like a day to stay home and rest.  But as the afternoon progressed, Ben, John and I decided to get out of the house. We didn't really have a destination in mind until I remembered a neat little overstock store we found over the Christmas holidays.  I've been looking for a chicken roaster or basic oven roaster and thought it might be the place to find one. 

Along the way we took a side road for scenic views, and stopped to take a picture of this very old billboard.  It's advertising Asheville, North Carolina, the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. I think it's so interesting to see along the old north/south Highway 25, especially since that destination is close to two hundred miles away.  At the time this sign was in its prime, the destination would have been at least a hard day's journey away. It's been in place since before the interstate system was built in the 1950's.  It's a relic that won't last long as development is encroaching rapidly.  John is planning to stop later this week to try for a better picture.


We stopped at an antique store just to look around.


Look at this neat fish trap!

The perfect place for a good book!


This "Regal Picnic Pack" almost came home with me until I remembered my decluttering goal. It was in new/mint condition from the 1960's.  I've seen this same item revived in catalogs recently...

At the end of the day I found exactly what I was looking for in a chicken roaster. 

As a bonus, on the way out the door, I found this cast iron stove top/oven roaster/grill. 


A little bargaining and I walked away with both for $30!
We stopped to visit my dad for a while and headed home. We had dinner at the "Country Village" restaurant.
Now we're settling in for an evening of "Downton Abbey". 
Lovely day.....

No comments:

Post a Comment