Monday, March 19, 2012

Garden Update

This update was supposed to happen on Saturday to link up with Ginny at Small Things. So I'm a little late.....

Last week I finally ordered my seeds.


Today it was 83 degrees Fahrenheit!  Tulips are blooming by the door.


The garden waits to be weeded.  Design has to be considered as it now gets much more sun than last year.  I'm very glad since I noticed last year's yields were smaller as the trees shading the garden grew taller.
Just removing the one pine tree has made a huge difference.  Each day I am noting the best places to position the plants in the new light.


The white Lenten Rose is in full bloom.  I thought I had lost it last year, but it came back strong this year. Now it has created a beautiful ground cover next to the pink along the fence.


Around the yard the lilac bushes are covered with leaves.  I hope they don't bloom right before a big frost.  That happened last year, and I really missed their fragrant show.

After last week's tree demolition, I'm going slow this week to develop a long term plan for our yard.  I'm re-reading "The Backyard Homestead" edited by Carleen Madigan (available on Amazon), and another great old book from 1978 "Living on a Few Acres"  from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (I got mine on ebay several years ago).  This great old book is over four hundred pages of valuable information. 

I have a vision of what I'd like our "homestead" to be and don't want plant anything that will have to be moved later. John and I will map out the yard this week to develop a master plan. 

This week I have to mow the yard (storms interrupted me last week), start preparing the beds, and plant the one raised bed that is ready to go.

That's it for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment