Sunday, August 12, 2012

Late Summer Garden Update

Gardening has taken a back seat this summer. 

The heat and humidity have made it more than uncomfortable to spend any length of time outside, 
 and with most of my family gone over the summer, I didn't have a lot of motivation to keep it going.

Early in June I was able to harvest a semi -respectable garlic/onion crop. It wasn't what I hoped, but a good start for my first efforts.


Most of July, the garden suffered neglect as I focused my time working on decluttering in the house, but more on that later.

I planted green beans in mid July for a fall crop.


Two weeks later they were ready to run, but I didn't find time to give them anything to run on. 
 I have visions of cute little antique fences and creative verticle pieces in the garden, but that is something to work on in the future.


Swarms of late summer mosquitos and hornets have kept me away from the yard until yesterday morning.  Here is what it looked like before....
  
And now after...


I've prepped the yard area for the raised bed garden layout and here is the lumber ready to assemble....


I started small to see if this was something that would work for me and I absolutely love it! 
Even when I neglect the weeding, a few short minutes and it's back under control.

Hopefully next week I'll have exciting pictures of my raised bed garden....


No comments:

Post a Comment